Wednesday, July 24, 2024

My First Triple Digit Bike Ride

Napoleon Hill, that great author of the bestselling book, Think and Grow Rich, has written that: Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve


"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, 
it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill



While this statement is more of a general, metaphorical truism than a literal fact in every instance, there is no doubt or question that thoughts and beliefs serve as primary drivers of our actions—and the results that flow therefrom. As such, the things we think about and the beliefs we choose to implant and cultivate in our minds, hearts, and souls really matter!  

As my regular readers will recall, I recently completed a half IRONMAN 70.3 mile triathlon in Panama City Beach, Florida. 


The process of training for and then completing this grueling event, which took me nearly six hours to complete, planted "thought seeds" for accomplishing something even more challenging
—a full IRONMAN 140.6 mile triathlon, which is twice as long and consists of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride, and a full marathon at the end (26.2 miles of running).

Having now committed to enter the "Granddaddy of them all" (a Rose Bowl of triathlons) on November 2nd of this year, I have begun to further cultivate the thoughts and actions needed to adequately and properly prepare for this mammoth undertaking. 

In attempting any goal, thoughts and actions inform each other synergistically. In other words, while thoughts naturally lead to actions, actions can also serve to bolster thoughts and otherwise strengthen our mental capacity and confidence to achieve whatever we set out to do. 

Knowing this, I recognize the importance of strengthening my mind in preparation for the full IRONMAN event. To accomplish this objective, it is necessary to demonstrate (prove) to myself that I am increasingly capable of achieving what I have set out to do. 

For example, leading up to the half IRONMAN 70.3 in Panama City Beach earlier this year, I went on the longest bike ride of my life to-date: a 77 mile ride I accomplished in the Florida Everglades about three weeks before the Gulf Coast triathlon. Finishing a 77 mile bike ride did wonders for my mental confidence that I could capably complete the 56-mile bike leg of the half IRONMAN. 

But it did more than that...

It enabled and empowered me to begin "thinking" that maybe I could do something even bigger/greater: namely, a full IRONMAN 140.6 triathlon. Indeed, I can trace the beginnings of my current full IRONMAN goal to this 77-mile ride. To further cultivate this mental capacity and confidence, I knew I needed to get several bike rides in excess of one hundred (100) miles in before I attempt the full IRONMAN.  

I accomplished step one of this initiative this past Saturday by completing a 116-mile bike ride from Key Largo, Florida to Key West, Florida.

Having now finished a triple-digit-plus bike ride, I feel much more capable of and confident in my ability to cover the 112-mile bike leg of the full IRONMAN on November 2nd. 

To maintain this mental capacity and confidence—as well as to sustain my physical strength and resilience—I will complete two additional rides of 100-plus miles before I toe the line on November 2nd. These extra long rides will accompany many other shorter rides contained within my overall training plan, which includes swimming and running as well, of course.  

Top of bridge entering Key Largo. 6:38 a.m.
Mile marker 108. I rode the 108 miles to mile 
marker 0 plus 8 additional miles along the way.
The ride from Key Largo to Key West was WONDERFUL!  

I started at 6:38 a.m. and was blessed with a beautiful breeze (tailwind) that blew me all the way to Key West. Indeed, I was most fortunate to have the wind at my back; it felt an awful lot like SERENDIPITY (aka grace and mercy), which all self-action leaders need to reach their full potential at work and in life.  

It took me approximately six hours (not counting rest and rehydration breaks) to finish the entire 116 miles.  It would have taken me several hours longer and been significantly more challenging if I had been facing a headwind, although a headwind would also have stretched and strengthened my physical and mental muscles more than having a tailwind the whole time. 

As self-action leaders well know, adversity is always a blessing in disguise!

But Serendipity is also a most welcome companion whenever and wherever It chooses to magnify our own best efforts.  

A dehydrated Dr. JJ at the end of his journey
Saturday, July 20, 2024; Key West, Florida.
I also learned a good lesson about preventing dehydration. I hydrated pretty well for the first 96 miles of the ride. However, the final 20 miles I failed to drink any liquids. Then, determined to get photographic proof of my accomplishment before I headed to my post-ride oasis (Circle K) to rehydrate, I opted to stand in line at the Continental United States' Southernmost Point monument for the approximately 25 minutes it took to secure the coveted picture. As I stood in line in the near-100 degree heat and humidity, sweat poured profusely from every pore in my body.

I can rarely remember being such a hot, slimy, sweaty mess!

It felt a little like I was boiling! 

In the meantime, I did not realize the extent to which my body was rapidly losing its fluids and beginning to dehydrate. The consequences of this fluid omission at the end of my ride became apparent once I began to rehydrate at Circle K.

Oh, the upper leg cramps I suffered over the next hour or so as I poured water, electrolytes, sugar, and caffeine back into and onto my body! I found myself involuntarily spasming and then writhing on the ground in the corner of the Circle K parking lot as I strived to alleviate the agony of the cramps. What a sight I must have made! One good samaritan even stopped by to check on me and see if I was all right. I was... but I'm sure I didn't entirely look it! Others noticed my discomfort, but kindly refrained from drawing added attention to my pathetic plight.  

The liquid replenishment was refreshing and delicious, but the cramps were really miserable, and could have been prevented had I simply hydrated before standing in line for that photo. I also suffered a brain freeze from pouring too much ice cold water on my head all at once. 

Some good lessons learned for the future!  

It had been over 17 years since I first
visited the Southernmost Point monument.
With my (then) girlfriend, Lina Tucker
Key West, Florida; March 2007.
Aside from this uncomfortable experience, the ride itself was FANTASTIC, and not overly challenging because of the helpful tailwind, a new (high quality) triathlon suit and anti-chafing products, and my previous preparations and fitness maintenance. 

Riding a bike (or driving a car) through the Florida Keys is PARADISE. If you have never done it before, I highly recommend it before you kick the bucket.  

My wife and kids drove to Key West to meet me there in the afternoon and we spent a fun evening together and then traveled home the next day after Church. It was a great experience, a fun memory, and an education all at the same time. And I am much better prepared to compete in and ultimately COMPLETE the full IRONMAN 140.6 triathlon in Panama City Beach on November 2nd.  

Is there something in your life or career that you have thought about someday accomplishing, but have avoided trying in the past for fear of failure? 

If so, and if your objective is worthy and your desire to pursue it sincere, I invite and encourage you to consider what the NEXT STEP would be for YOU in your own "training process" to move steadily closer to achieving your goal and/or vision. 

Winston Churchill
1874-1965
One of my SAL & Historical Heroes
I once read a statement written by Winston Churchill about the power of accomplishment that can be unleashed by virtue of an individual's commitment and discipline to dedicate oneself to a task and then stick with it until it is finished. Churchill was specifically referring to ambitious writing projects and his words have inspired me to tackle mammoth compositional goals myself.

I can tell you from personal experience that the fulfillment, joy, and satisfaction that comes from accomplishing or finishing something ambitious and difficult is immense! I have experienced these positive emotions of elation and euphoria on many occasions throughout my life and career as I have tackled ambitious projects and seen them through to completion. 

The Picturesque Florida Keys
I had those wonderful feelings again in the final few miles of my 116-mile bike ride on Saturday. As I rolled along those beautiful oceanside boulevards lined with Palm Trees in the tropical paradise that is Key West, I felt a little like a cycling champion approaching the Avenue de Champs-Élysées in Paris
—minus the huge crowds, champagne, money, and fame! However, truth be known—and all things considered—this Lone Ranger would actually prefer the peace and solitude of my own solo ride to the elite, fame-filled alternative.

Thus, in the end, it is not so much our spotlights in the sunshine of public adoration that prove most meaningful, but rather the moments in the moonlight of personal, private achievement and victory that matter most in the end. And no matter who you are (or aren't), there are no end to the magical moonlight moments you can experience on your individual journey through life—as long as you are committed to Self-Action Leadership!

Bottom Line: our self-worth is directly correlated with our productivity (something my Uncle Hyrum W. Smith taught me). It feels good to accomplish small things. And it feels GREAT to accomplish big things. A 116-mile bike ride was, for me, a BIG thing, and it feels great to have achieved it!  

Tune in next week on Tuesday for a special celebration of my 400th Blog Article Publication since I began the Freedom Focused blog in late 2013, and then again on Wednesday morning to reconvene our serial publication of the SAL Life Leadership Textbook.
  

Dr. JJ

Wednesday, July 24, 2024
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, USA


Author's Note: This is the 399th Blog Post Published by Freedom Focused LLC since November 2013 and the 209th consecutive weekly blog published since August 31, 2020.   

Click HERE for a compete listing of the other 398 FF Blog Articles 

Click HERE for a complete listing of Freedom Focused SAL QUOTES  

Click HERE for a complete listing of Freedom Focused SAL POEMS   

Click HERE to access the FULL TEXT of Dr. JJ's Psalms of Life: A Poetry Collection

Click HERE for a complete listing of Self-Action Leadership Articles

Click HERE for a complete listing of Fitness, Heath, & Wellness Articles

Click HERE for a complete listing of Biographical & Historical Articles


Click HERE for a complete listing of Dr. JJ's Autobiographical Articles

.........................

Tune in NEXT Wednesday for another article on a Self-Action Leadership related topic.  

And if you liked this blog post, please share it with your family, friends, colleagues, and students—and encourage them to sign up to receive future articles for FREE every Wednesday.

To sign up, please email freedomfocused@gmail.com and say SUBSCRIBE, or just YES, and we will ensure you receive a link to each new blog article every Wednesday.  


Click HERE to buy the SAL Textbooks    

No comments:

Post a Comment

SAL Hierarchy, Level 4

Chapter 15 The SAL Hierarchy, Level 4 LAYER 4:  MESOSPHERE The Mesosphere extends beyond the upper limits of the Stratosphere to about 50 mi...