From the Personal Journals of My Father
Rex Buckley Jensen
1979
NOTE: In the quotation of my father's journals below, I use ellipses to acknowledge the skipping of text in the middle of entries, but not before the first sentence or after the last sentence. In other words, the first and last sentence (or paragraph) in the entries below are not necessarily the first and last sentences (or paragraphs) in my dad's journal entries. Rather, I have both begun and concluded wherever relevant for the subject matter at hand.
![]() |
| Infant JJ Monticello, Utah 1979 |
Got a tingle in my soul every time I thought about my sweetheart coming home tonight. Worked hard all day. Stayed up until midnight in the office and then slept until 1:15 a.m. Got up, showered, shaved, and met my Sweetheart in bitter cold at the bustling Monticello Bus Depot.
The anticipation was not without substance. She was as lovely and warm as ever. We talked and swooned until 5:00 a.m. She really got an earful the last five days at Ida's; and came home with the idea that 'all is not well in Zion.' I don't think things are that bad however, and I am just glad to have her back. It is all systems 'GO' on little #6 and I am just thrilled about it. Wish we could get twin boys.
Tuesday, August 21, 1979
Took my sweetheart to the hospital this morning and by early afternoon she had delivered a beautiful little boy. We have decided to name him Jordan Rex. It was pretty special. It is the first time that I have been with her for a normal delivery. (Joe came with the luxury of a spinal). I was impressed at how hard she had to work. Dr. Smith was really cute about letting me in, and telling me about it all the way through. Sure like Dr. Smith.
Sonny Redd was in the hospital today in labor too. She gave birth a short time after Pauline. A nice bouncing baby boy too.
Note: Sonny's son was named Christian. Later in 1997, during my junior year of high school, Christian Redd (a senior... he was young for his grade; I was old for mine, having been held back from kindergarten until age 6) competed with me on our heartbreaking 2nd place medley relay team at State track and field held at BYU. The medley relay consists of two 200-meter legs, a 400-meter leg, and an 800-meter anchor leg for a total of four (4) laps (1600-meters). Clint Curtis and, if I remember correctly, Justin Redd, ran the 200-meter legs, Christian Redd ran the 400, and I ran the 800. Calamitously, the baton was dropped in between the second 200-meter leg and Christian's 400-meter leg. We went from first place to about fifth or sixth place in a matter of 4-5 seconds. Christian ran a strong 400-meter leg, but we were still in 5th place and several seconds behind when I received the baton for the anchor, 800-meter leg. I gave it everything I had and ended up catching everyone in front of me and taking the lead with 250 meters left. However, Grand County's anchor leg caught me in the final 50 meters and we lost by a split second at the tape. On paper, we were the best team and the favorite to win the State title in the event. Moreover, I ran at least five (5) seconds faster than Grand County's anchor leg; but, in the end, my 2:00-flat time (my personal best at the time) was not fast enough to eke out a victory. I was devastated and recall throwing the baton in anger and frustration after the race was over. For many years thereafter the loss continued to sting, although I have always been at peace knowing I gave it my all in the failed effort.
Thursday, August 23, 1979
Brought Pauline and little Jordan Rex home from the hospital today. The kids were so excited to see their new baby brother.
We took pictures, as always and had a nice time getting acquainted with the little guy.
Friday, August 24, 1979
![]() |
| With my older sister, Jody. September 1979 |
Spent most of the day with Pauline and little #6. Sure is a sweet little guy. It is fun to have a baby in the house again.
Saturday, November 3, 1979
Pauline has been very sick with mastitis the past several days. Little Jordan has taken it like a 'man' however, and things seem to be on the mend.
Sunday, November 4, 1979In company with family and loved ones, little Jordan Rex Jensen was blessed and named today. What a choice little fellow he is. What love he has brought into our home. I am overwhelmed at times with the magnitude of the responsibility it is to take these little spirits and commit to a life-time of care and love. the love and joy they give in return make it all very worthwhile, however. What a joy this little one is to us.
Grandma Jensen had us all over to her house for dinner after the meeting. How blessed we are to live close to Grandparents. Mother is so very good to us.
Attended Great Books at Steve Nielson's house tonight. Subject was A Dull Story, and I couldn't have agreed more. It truly was a dull story. It's fun to gather with some good heads to talk once in a while, however.
Wednesday, November 7, 1979
Got up at 3:30 a.m. this morning, bathed, played with Jordan, who is really developing fast. The little tyke smiles and talks often now, and is so cute I could eat him. Wish I had five more just like him.
Monday, December 3, 1979
Sunday we took Jordan (left Jody with Aunt Ida) and drove to SLC again and enjoyed the Tabernacle Choir Broadcast; breakfast at Hotel Utah (where we saw the Ben Hesses and the Bob Sparks). Visited the aunts (Rux-Ballard-Beecher). Uncle Hal told me that he has lost over $500,000 in his Reno deal. The guys he was hooked up with turned out to be crooks. Really felt badly for him. He was low. Has been in Reno all week testifying before a Grand Jury or some such matter. Guys like him make it fast, but they lose it fast too. He will bounce back, no doubt, but that much "green" is hard to lose in one swoop.
Monday, December 31, 1979
Last day of 1979 was foggy and cold. Worked at the store all day, anticipating more business than we actually got.
Decided this afternoon to have a new year's bash. Called a few folks to join us about nine o'clock. Took home enough junk food to feed an army. Kids had fun helping me set it all out. Let them stay up and join the adults for the first time in their young lives. They thought that was wonderful.
The lateness of the invite showed. Turnout included the Waltons, the Kerry Freestones, the George Rices and all the Jensens. Had a good time nonetheless and all got sick eating junk.
The new year and decade came in amidst a game of 50 cents. I hope the eighties are better than the seventies.
![]() |
| Paul & Jordan |
—Dr. JJ
Author's Note: This is the 539th Blog Post Published by Freedom Focused LLC since November 2013 and the 319th consecutive weekly blog published since August 31, 2020.
Click HERE for a compete listing of the other 538 FF Blog Articles
Click HERE for a complete listing of Freedom Focused SAL QUOTES
Click HERE for a complete listing of Freedom Focused SAL POEMS
Click HERE to access the FULL TEXT of Dr. JJ's Psalms of Life: A Poetry Collection
.........................
Tune in NEXT Wednesday for another article on a Self-Action Leadership related topic.
If you liked this blog post, please share it with your family, friends, colleagues, and students—and encourage them to bookmark this blog to access a new FREE article every Wednesday.






No comments:
Post a Comment