Wednesday, October 7, 2026

JJ's Journal: 1983

    From the Personal Journals of My Father

Rex Buckley Jensen 

1983


Thursday, January 20, 1983

Annual School Picture
Monticello, Utah
September 1983
Age 4
Got up at 5:00 a.m. with a sick Jordan.

Saturday, March 12, 1983

Rented a video from the Abajo called "The Devil and max Devlin." Invited the Bunker, the LeGrande Blacks, and a few others (Tom Moore) (Bill Boyle) over. It was noisy with the little kids, but we had a good time. Jordan didn't shut up 2 minutes the whole time. 

Thursday, March 17, 1983

Stayed home with Jessie and Jordan while Pauline went to Blanding on an Avon meeting. Did a lot of reading. 

We had the [community concert] reception at the house and had at least 30-40 come. It was fun. Jack and Corrie seemed to enjoy themselves. We talked until 1:00 alm. I wish Jordan and Jessie would sleep in when Mom and Dad stay up half the night. 

Very pleasant evening.

Friday, April 8, 1983

Took Jordan to Nedra's Pre-School and Jessie to the office to be with me. I suspect my productivity will drop as I chase her around all morning, but hopefully, Pauline will do some good with Avon. 

With my sister, Jessie Ruth.
Monday, April 11, 1983

Pauline wanted to do Avon again today so I took Jordan to the Pre-School and Jessie spent the morning with me at the office. She is a little sweetheart and really is not that bad when Jordan is absent. 

I memorized "The Frogs" this afternoon and recited it at family night. The kids loved it. I am going to exercise my mind with memorization regularly henceforth. 

Tuesday, April 19, 1983

Took Jordan to Nedra's [preschool]. David stayed home (he is sick, sorta...) and tended Jessie.

Friday, April 29, 1983

Worked in the office until 4:00. Went home and started on the shop. That shop has bugged me for two years. I can never find anything, and chaos frustrates me as nothing else does. So it was almost heavenly to start seeing things become organized in there this afternoon. Joe and Wayne helped and it went fast. Jordan talked the whole time. I love that little boy so much, but oh how he can get on one's nerves with his incessant chatter. By 8:00 the job was 2/3 done. What a joy to have it that far along. 

Monday, May 9, 1983

Saw [the movie] Ghandi [sic] [today].

The yellow bunnies blanket
I so cherished as a baby and toddler.
I have looked forward to seeing the picture for a long time. I won "best Picture of the year" and it was no mystery why. Gee, it was a fabulously done epic (3 1/2 hours) with a fabulous message (love and non-violence always wins in the end). 

Tuesday, May 17, 1983

Spent until 8:30 loading all the furniture into the trailer and truck. Lots of it. Was quite a trick. Had dinner at JB's and headed home at 10:00. Long night. Pulled into the driveway at 5:00 a.m. Paul was up doing his homework. Jordan was up looking for his 'lill blanket' so I was not without welcome. Glad to hit the sack. 

Tuesday, June 14, 1983

Got all of my kids and all of Stephen's kids and we all went to Grandma Jensen's place this morning and worked on her yards. 

Worked most of the day. I hauled about 50 wheelbarrow loads of weeks to the dump with my trailer. The kids worked pretty good considering all the distractions created by each other and the fireworks and firecrackers they recently bought. 

Pauline had her [Avon] openhouse all day. Jordan and Jessie were with us at Grandma's.

The folks place looked a lot better when we left. 

Thursday, June 16, 1983

Took the family down to the garden spot this morning [to the east of Park Plaza Apartments] and we planted furiously from about 7:00 a.m. until 9:45. Got carrots, beets, peas, more corn and tomatoes in.

NOTE: My experience planting this garden was one of my earliest recollections.

Tuesday, June 28, 1983

Worked all morning in the office. 

Took the kids up to the mountain for a little picnic at noon. Julie Bunker went along. We went as far as we could, before running into a snowdrift. Had a nice lunch, a short hike, got some cute pictures of Jordan and Jessie and then came home. 

Saturday, July 2, 1983

Stephanie and Julie tended Jordan and Jessie and Hansen's Mark while all the rest of us went to the big Osmond Extravaganza in [Cougar] Stadium called "The Glory of America." It was memorable. Our seats weren't too great, but the fireworks throughout the whole thing were something to behold. I heard they burned up over $200,000 worth and it wouldn't surprise me. It was reported that there were almost 100,000 people in the stadium and on the baseball field. Biggest crowd in Utah History.

Monday, July 4, 1983

I went down to Albertson's and bought a book to read. 

Victim, was the title, and it was the true account of the Hi-Fi murders in Ogden in 1974. It was well done and I found it irresistible. Finished it at 4:00 a.m. Tuesday. 

NOTE: My father was an avid reader. It was not uncommon for him to become so absorbed in a book that he would read it in its entirety in a single sitting. He did this with Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, Fatal Vision, Marriott, the biography of J. Willard Marriott (his wife, Alice, was a college roommate of my maternal grandmother, Ruth Pingree Smith [1907-1992]), and presumably others over the years. Later, while pursuing my bachelor's degree in English at Utah Valley State College (now Utah Valley University), I read In Cold Blood myself in one of my English major classes in 2002, wherein I discovered why dad had been so enthralled with Capote's gripping narrative.  

Monday, July 4, 1983

Stopped off in SLC on the way to Grandma's house and saw the three finished prints Expressive Color had done for me: Two of Chessler [sic] park and one of Angel Arch. Wow! They were everything I had dare hope they would be, and I was simply ecstatic. 

Tuesday, August 2, 1983

Took Paul and Jordan with me in the jeep this morning to fetch the boy's gear on the mountain. They reported a nice camp. Jody and Paul remained behind to hike home with the boys. Jordan helped me look for good firewood stands. We looked for an hour or so, and it appears that the best place is right up where we got it last year. 

Friday, August 12, 1983

Mowed the apartments [today]. Didn't get done until 1:00 p.m. Went to the dump and unloaded all the junk from the overhang cleanup at the house and all grandma's grass clippings. Jordan was so cute helping me unload the trailer. He is so anxious to help that he is a pain most of the time, but I love the little rascal so much it hurts at times.  

After lunch and a nap, I rejuvenated the chainsaw and we (Wayne, Joe, Jody and Jordan) went to the mountain to cut wood. Found a good spot above Seventy's flat and got a whole trailerload by about 6:30. Felt good. Decided we better go back tomorrow and cut more before somebody beats us to the punch. 

Saturday, August 13, 1983

Spent the whole day cutting wood. With that big saw, my big trailer, and good helpers (which I surely had today) it doesn't take long to cut a bunch. David, Wayne, and Joe (and Jordan, of course) plugged along all day and we got two more large loads from the same spot above Seventies Flat. 

Sunday, August 21, 1983

Jordan's fourth birthday today. Had Mom and Dad over for dinner. He was so cute opening his gifts. Love that kid.  

Saturday, August 25, 1983

Left Monticello about 10:00 a.m. for the adventure in the big City at Grandma's [Smith] house.

JJ's Commentary: We lived in Grandma Smith's house during the fall semester of 1983. She was visiting Hawaii for several months and my parents wanted to give us kids a "big city" experience in Centerville (Suburb of Salt Lake to the north). My memories of this time are limited; but here are a few...

  • My little sister, Jessie, refusing to eat her oatmeal for breakfast one day. Grandma Smith was an old-school stickler about eating all your food and her mantra was: "You eat it or you wear it."  I can still see Jessie sitting on top of the dining room table squealing in misery as the oatmeal was dumped on top of her head. I'm proud to say that I have consciously chosen to parent more like Grandma Jensen than Grandma Smith when it comes to this strict injunction over food consumption! Grandma Jensen, bless her heart, she never made us eat anything we didn't want to. 
  • Grandma Smith's yard was surrounded by fences that were covered in grape vines. I recall helping with the harvest and incurring an allergic reaction from handling the grapevines and grapes that made my hands and arms tingle in an unpleasant fashion.
  • Right before Thanksgiving Dinner was to be served, I recall cutting my chin while "shaving" with shaving cream and my Dad's razor. I really was a Daddy's boy and was eager to do everything he did. A fair bit of blood from this little miscue!  

Saturday, October 8, 1983

3rd Birthday Party
Brothers Joe and Paul in background
Spent the morning with Hyrum. Had a feeling that I ought to go over and see him this morning. We had a good talk, and I was just about the pop the question, and feel him out as to how he would feel about letting me try [teaching] seminars. He beat me to the punch! I couldn't believe it. We had a wonderful visit and I left walking on air. What an opportunity. What possibilities. I feel more inadequate than anything. I pray to measure up. Hyrum gave me several books to read, and I went to Deseret Book on the way home and bought several. What a quest. 

Jody was baptized tonight. Hyrum's family came. It was special. Jody was radiant. I am grateful for such a privilege [as baptizing my daughter]. As we left the [church] building, Hyrum put his arm around me and said, "I am really excited about what we talked about this morning." So am I! Still can't believe it.

Smith's came over for watermelon and a visit, after the confirmation. 

BYU clobbered Wyoming 41-10 at Laramie this afternoon. Won easier than anyone thought it would be. Cougs are on a roll.

Thursday, October 13, 1983

Spent the day reading, talking to my Sweetheart, [and] chasing Jordan and Jessie out of mischief. 

Pauline put up about 15 quarts of pure grape juice tonight with a cooker. Was an interesting process. We all got a kick out of doing it. Mother Ruth has a bumper crop of grapes this year. 

Saturday, October 8, 1983

Paul graciously agreed to tend Jordan and Jessie and so Pauline and I talked most of the morning. I tried being very positive and upbeat to use much of the inspiration and knowledge gleaned from my reading the past few weeks. 

Tuesday, October 25, 1983

[My] commitment [to Hyrum] took on added significance as Hyrum and I waited outside the Marriott for our ride and he asked me if I would like to do mini-seminars on the 15th and 17th. The proposition both thrills and frightens me. I have mixed feelings. With everyone else so upside down in my life (Goldstone) this is a very hard time. 

NOTE: Goldstone was the name of the real estate property that went south the year previous, the consequences of which were still rearing its ugly head at this point in time. 

Hyrum & Gail Smith Family
Circa 1982

Wednesday, October 26, 1983

Second day of the Seminar at the Marriott with Hyrum. 

I get so high when I am in the Seminars. I think "Wow," if I only had that kind of ability to teach and motivate. Today was not an exception. What a "kick!" 

So many things have run through my mind. I just with I could really see the map clearly. ... Enjoyed visiting with Hyrum on the way home. He is a great guy!

Wednesday, October 27, 1983

I got really psyched up at the possibilities at the MTC (Missionary Training Center). Talked to Gail on the phone and she was excited too. 

Called Greg at the office. I wanted to meet Dick Winwood, give input to the Daytimer and exude a bit of optimism. Greg really put the damper on my enthusiasm by telling me "The door was closed, and I didn't want to disturb them." 

Greg said he would be back in touch about 2:00. —never did call. I called about 3:00 and told the secretary to tell him to forget it. 

The whole business really bugged me. What could have been so secretive or important that I couldn't have been there. What a downer. 

Went to Deseret Book this afternoon and bought a book about Victor Beleriko the Russian fighter pilot who defected in a M16-25 to Japan in 1976. In addition to being an excellent book, I think there is some material i can use in a seminar. 

Pauline and Grandma went to DUP [Daughters of the Utah Pioneers]—I read most of the evening. 

Friday, October 28, 1983

Basically a very down day. Couldn't get yesterdays encounter with Greg off my mind—He called this morning and lamely apologized for not getting back to me—said he just "dropped the ball"—I'll say. 

This is a tough time in my life. So many things pulling in so many directions—I'm beginning to recognize that even Hyrum Smith's organization is far from perfect.

I yearn for peace and security and the "high" of being in control.  

Saturday, October 29, 1983

Drove to Farmington Utah @ 7:50 this morning and attended another Seminar by Hyrum—this time a four-hour effort to school teachers. Was a kick! Audience was really with Hyrum this morning. I sat by one Barbary Jeppson and she was very taken with the whole business—Just exciting to think of the possibilities for exerting a positive influence in this world. 

Monday, October 31, 1983

Had a super talk with Hyrum and Gail at home (theirs) last night. Visited for 2 1/2 hours. Felt better—told Hyrum (in love) how I felt about a lot of things. I think he appreciated my suggestions. 

We decided that it would be best for me to concentrate on school teachers and school districts where there really is a fabulous potential. 

Felt so much better after my talk with Hyrum. I have direction now and I am going to really get with it.

Saturday, November 5, 1983

The uncertainty of the future weighs heavily upon me. I do not handle insecurity well at all, and with so many uncertainties on the horizon, I feel that I live in perpetual anxiety. I hope I am learning from this experience. 

Thursday, November 10, 1983

Worked all day putting the finishing touches on the one-day version of the Time Management Seminar.

Got an overhead projector at the Church, and by three o'clock I was ready for bear. Took a hot bath and built a big fire in the upstairs fireplace and sat down to relax and psyche myself up. 

My [attendees] were a little late, but seem[ed] anxious and ready. We got started about 4:30 and went until 10:30. By that time we were all so tired, it was not feasible to go on. I felt good about how things had gone generally, however, and was surprised at the positiveness of the responses. It was more than biased patronizing. Mother called about midnight and went on and on about how good it was, and how she feels that I have found my "niche" in life. 

Mother fixed a lovely meal which we all feasted on at "halftime."

I certainly feel better about this whole project as I tried to go to sleep. I want to be successful at it so badly. I believe with all my heart that where there is a real will, there is always a way. 

Tuesday, November 15, 1983

It happened today. The long awaited day arrived where I was to teach my first real Seminar. ...

At 4:30 I ... took a bath, shaved, put on my new $300 suit, and with a host of butterflies flapping in my inards, [sic] drove to 411 East South Temple. Greg was there to help me set up. Lloyd Pendelton was there to observe, and Pauline and Gail arrived shortly before our 6:30 beginning. ...

Most of the class were students (albeit some were middle-aged) and it was an excellent group to start with. I lost the "flutters" early on, and I think for the first time it came off pretty well. I got a rousing ovation when the evening was over, and that made me feel great. 

Pauline and Gail were complimentary. It was OK, but I will put a lot of polish on it over the next few presentations. 

We followed Gail to Centerville, where she got gas, and then I took pauline to the Arctic Circle on Page's Lane for a hamburger to celebrate. I hadn't had anything to eat all day, and still wasn't hungry. A most memorable day. 

Friday, December 2, 1983

I accompanied Hyrum to the Church Office Building (22nd floor) at 7:00 a.m. this morning and watched him teach the Missionary Committee of the Church a three hour version of the Time Management Seminar.

In attendance with their wives were Elders Carlos E. Asay, William R. Bradford, Robert E. Wells, and Jack H. Goaslind, Jr. 

Also, President Bishop of the MTC in Provo and two other Brethren that I did not know. Hyrum did his usual thing and they were all very positive and excited at the end of the experience. It is something as i see how able Hyrum is to excite and motivate people. He has a special gift, and it is a privilege to just watch him. 

Friday, December 21, 1983

Pauline let Jordan and Jessie make Christmas cookies to wrap up for each of the brothers and sisters this morning. It was cute to see how much they enjoyed doing it, and how patient and loving Pauline was. Giant mess, but two very happy white children. 

...........................................................................

Additional Memories from 1983:

  • I remember visiting my great-grandmother, Adella Adams Jensen Bronson (1896-1983) in the nursing home in Blanding, Utah. She looked super old to me. She died on November 17th in the Blanding nursing home at age 86. 
  • I remember one day peering into my brother Joe's bedroom closet and seeing a hatchet. My memory of what happened next is fuzzy, but I do recall getting in trouble—including receiving a good spanking—when my dad got home. I had been seeing Dad and my older brothers chopping firewood and I got the idea to take the hatchet to the arms of the couch and sofa in the living room. I do not recall performing the actual deed itself; but the arms carried proof of my work until the day we sold the pieces of furniture years later. Being as small as I was, the damage was slight—just a few marks about an inch long, where the pointed edge of the hatchet blade would have made contact with my three or four-year-old chops.
  • I remember Paul putting me in our backpack child carrier, strapping me on his back, and taking me on a ride to Grandma and Grandpa's (or the store) on his ten speed bike. In hindsight, it was a rather dangerous undertaking. Nevertheless, I implicitly trusted my older brothers (especially my biggest and oldest brother, Paul) and enjoyed the thrill of the ride, even though it was a little frightening!  

Jensen Family Picture
Monticello, Utah
Circa 1983-84



—Dr. JJ
Wednesday, October 7, 2026
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, USA


Author's Note: This is the 543rd Blog Post Published by Freedom Focused LLC since November 2013 and the 325th consecutive weekly blog published since August 31, 2020.   

Click HERE for a compete listing of the other 542 FF Blog Articles

Click HERE for a complete listing of Freedom Focused SAL QUOTES  

Click HERE for a complete listing of Freedom Focused SAL POEMS   

Click HERE to access the FULL TEXT of Dr. JJ's Psalms of Life: A Poetry Collection

Click HERE for a complete listing of Self-Action Leadership Articles

Click HERE for a complete listing of Fitness, Heath, & Wellness Articles

Click HERE for a complete listing of Biographical & Historical Articles


Click HERE for a complete listing of Dr. JJ's Autobiographical Articles

.........................

Tune in NEXT Wednesday for another article on a Self-Action Leadership related topic.  

If you liked this blog post, please share it with your family, friends, colleagues, and students—and encourage them to bookmark this blog to access a new FREE article every Wednesday.



Click HERE to buy the SAL Textbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

JJ's Journal: 1983

        From the Personal Journals of My Father Rex Buckley Jensen  1983 Thursday, January 20, 1983 Annual School Picture Monticello, Utah S...